DEVELOPMENT OF RECORDING and ANALYSIS
There are many ways to use EEG recording, and BABA has been an active leader in developing newborn EEG methodology.
Many of BABA’s developments are summarized in the multimedia packages that demonstrate different ways to record high quality EEG. This material, created by BABA, has become a key educational resource worldwide.
We have also developed a multimodal EEG method for studying preterm brains within the intensive care unit. Most intriguingly, our new methodology allows us to study the growing brain pathways during early development.
There are many ways to do EEG recording, and BABA has been an active leader in developing newborn EEG methodology. Many of BABA developments are summarized in the multimedia packages that demonstrate different ways to record high quality EEG. This material generated within BABA has become a key educational resource around the world.
We have also developed a multimodal EEG method for studying the preterm brain in the intensive care unit. Most importantly, our new methodology has allowed researchers to study brain pathways during early-infant development.
In addition to advancing the recording of EEG signals from human infants, BABA-based research has developed several ways to better analyze EEG signal. Our most important outputs are as follows. We have:
- identified the key EEG signatures of the preterm baby, referred to as spontaneous activity transients (SAT),
- developed several analysis methods to measure the functional brain connectivity of infants (For instance, ASI, event-level phase synchrony, bimodality, PAC/nestedness, phase-phase correlation, and amplitude-amplitude correlation),
- designed and validated a method for measuring vigilance state cycling (a.k.a. brain activity cycling, BAC),
- participated in studies that use massive statistical analysis of burst properties for a real-time detection and prognostication
- collaborated in research that have introduced working solutions for an automated assessment of brain maturational stage.
You can check out videos of how the method is applied here.